Friday, April 06, 2007

Enforced Secret Joy #35 – Spike The Standup

It’s Easter week, a week that’s supposed to be filled with reverence, respect, and humbling gratitude. So let’s talk about Spike the Standup! (yes, yes, I know, and trust me, I am super thankful that Jesus Christ died for my sins on the cross, but what’s life without a little irreverence, eh?)

This is Spike the Standup. He’s from Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel . He can be the first thing I see in the morning, provided I wake up on my right side. He was a Christmas present a few years ago from Agatha and Bug, and the history of how Spike the Standup crossed the nation, and spent more than a few days in James Marsters trailer waiting for the authentic autograph (word is that James Marsters was upset that he blew the initial scrawl that results in the blob on the A in my name) is proof that Agatha and Bug are really devoted to getting me birthday presents, or are scarily single-minded in their quest to get things done.

He has also scared Roomie Jekyll a few times, when we have to move everything away from the walls when the pest control people come, and she won’t be paying attention as she passes by my room, and does a double take, thinking there’s a blond vampire in there. There are worse problems to have, ha ha ha.

Anyhow, Spike The Standup reigns in the corner of my room and makes me smile, because it’s impossible to look at him in the corner and NOT smile. He’s so serious looking, so oooh, look at me, I’m SMOLDERING, and he’s a Standup. (you can’t see it in the pictures, but he’s also sporting a half/boot half/sneaker shoes that suspiciously look like they came from Easy Spirit. HA!)

Dear God, thank you for Spike the Standup. Thank you for the generosity of Agatha and Bug. Thank you that not all presents have to be clothes, or socks, or whatever. Some presents can be silly fun. Thank you for the actor James Marsters. Thank you for Agatha’s friends that got the standup to him to sign. Thank you for silly poofy smoldering pouts that make me laugh first thing in the morning. Thank you for laughter. Thank you for the little things, in the midst of the Big Thing of Easter Week. Thank you for sending your Son to die for my sins, for Agatha’s sins, for Bug sins, and for James Marsters’ sins. Thank you that He died for ALL of our sins. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Amen.

No comments: