Wednesday, September 27, 2006

She Won't Be Stopped

When I told my parents that I was going on a Katrina trip to New Orleans, and I was excited to do manual labor and sleep on a cot in a community college gym, My Mother the Phone Harpy, Who I Love Very Very Much could not stop talking about her church’s mission trip to Biloxi. In the best example I could give someone who didn’t know about the joy that is the Phone Harpy, she wouldn’t stop talking about how Biloxi was much harder hit than New Orleans, and the press hasn’t covered it as much, and how all anyone can talk about is New Orleans, and they’ve completely overlooked Biloxi. I tried to point out that there has to be something left to do in the recovery efforts in New Orleans, or else they wouldn’t be sending us there, the Loving Phone Harpy would not be silenced. Like a dog with a bone, or a willful six year old who wants everyone to admit she’s the prettiest girl in class, the past three phone conversations have been her touting how Biloxi is much worse than New Orleans. She finally let it go when I said, “Mom? Do you want me to call my church and tell them that you want us redeployed?”

She’s since moved on to the subject of tetanus shots, and how I simply must have one before I go, because they told her group to get one. My group has received no such instructions, so I’m not getting one. THERE YA GO, MA! I’M STEPPING ON A RUSTY NAIL JUST FOR YOU!

Sorry. Sometimes I have to fly in the face of the Phone Harpy. Just ‘cause I can. I still love her. Very very much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And yet...still not the worst idea to get a booster shot (assuming you had one when you were younger). Really. You'll see what I mean when you're there.

Meanwhile--you and I both know that while Biloxi was worse hit (and it was--NOLA just caught the edge), we also know that Biloxi didn't have a levee break followed by months (now a year) of inadequate local brains and incomepetant federal aide. Well, one out of two....

Carlen said...

The problem with MY Phone Harpy is that I am living in her house again, which at my age, is a VERY bad idea...
Best wishes in New Orleans! Can't wait to hear about your trip. :)

Anonymous said...

OH, AMES.

Had to laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Your phone harpy and my phone harpy are working out of the same play book. I mean, the riding of a subject into the ground until FINALLY the voice of reason penetrates, then the shifting to a new, proactive-you-muct-do-this subject. So familiar. So, so familiar. *tearing up with mirth* I of course, have given my phone harpy much to be concerned with, what with their move, the baby due in one week,so much to think about which I of course will not have thought about. So much wisdom to impart. So much, so much... do I have a pediatrician, etc etc etc.

To be fair, my phone harpy saves it for concentrated bursts....she really does TRY to stem the tide.....but it's like those levees, I guess.....

And I suppose I shall turn into a phone harpy for my own child, eventually. I think it's in the fine print, actually. I think it goes with the insane-mother-love clause.....

-Ash